Sunday, December 19, 2010

30 Day Blog Challege: Day 4

Day 4: Your Parents

My parents and I on my wedding day

I don't even know where to begin with my mom and dad, Michael and Windy D'Itri. Of course I'm sure everyone says they have the best parents ever... well, I REALLY do. My parents are loving, caring, hard working, proud, supportive, wise, forgiving, protective, well, the list could go on and on. They've been married for 26 years and still manage to have such a romantic relationship.

True story on how amazingly romantic my dad is for a man in his 50's: For my parents' 25th anniversary they decided they would spend it in Hawaii. They had planned the trip for nearly a year. Well, my dad being the creative lush he is, had much more in store for their trip than my mom knew about. Little did she know, that my dad (without out the help of anyone including me) went out and bought a new engagement ring for my mom... a super gorgeous, beautiful three diamond in a platinum setting... and had organized to have their vows renewed on their anniversary. When the day came on their vacation, my dad got down on one knee on the beach and re-proposed to my mom. A Hawaiian minister, or Kahuna, remarried them in a private ceremony on the beach with the traditional leis and all. My mom had no idea! SO CUTE! I mean really, how sweet is that???? MICHAEL - I hope you're paying attention to how good my dad treats my mom! She is spoiled! But for good reason :-) she deserves it...

I only hope Michael and I can having such a full, fun, lasting and loving marriage like my parents have.

From a child's perspective I didn't always have the coolest parents. There were so many times when I was younger that I just didn't get them. And I'm sure a lot of you can relate. They were "mean, and unfair and too strict and just didn't understand!!", common words from a teenager. But man, do I thank them daily now for being the parents they were. I look at a lot of young kids now and am floored at how disobedient, rude, spoiled and just plain appalling they can be. I realized one I hit my 20's that my parents were just forming me into becoming a woman who would be able to raise her children right because I have good morals and values instilled in me. And because of their hard work raising me, they can trust me as an adult living on my own to make the right choices.

I can't really put into words the love, respect and adoration I have for my mommy and daddy. They just are amazing REAL people with such a good American story of working hard, putting themselves through college, and living out their dreams. I mean, my mom came to this country young, on her own, barely speaking English... teaching herself the ways of this county, working 100 jobs through college and is now one of the most successful women I know. And she did it all on her own and continued the hard work (both of my parents did) to give my brother and I the best life possible they good give. Including giving me the wedding of my dreams. Literally. Probably more of a wedding than they should have given me. It was wonderful, magical... just every little girls' fairy-tale wedding. I am just so grateful for them.

I could go on and on, I really could. But I think you get the picture! LOL

Love you Mom and Dad!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment